We are planning to hold a Mela in and around the railway station and Interchange as a fringe event to the Bolton Food and Drink Festival in August 2021. Mela, or multi-cultural festivals, have been held in Bolton before and this is a fresh attempt to re-launch this colourful, family event from a different perspective. There will be a range of cultural goods and food stalls, arts and crafts activities, music, dancing and street performers, all adding to the party atmosphere. The Market Place Shopping Centre will be hosting a Mela event in conjunction with the station festival meaning shoppers and visitors to Bolton can experience the fun at both ends of the town.
Stalls will be available to book at a very modest price, with those using the event to publicise a charity or social enterprise free of charge. A programme will be available featuring business sponsors and advertising local businesses, and Bolton FM will be supporting the event throughout the day.
The Bolton Station Community Partnership has been actively working with many diverse community groups across the town since 2018, and we hope that this event will build on the success of our 2018 Gala and 2019 Food and Drink Fringe event.
Aims and Objectives
- To promote community cohesion and celebrate diversity
- To re-engage with people who may feel tentative about large gatherings
- To enable visitors to engage with a wide range of cultural experiences and foods
- To promote social enterprises and not-for-profit organisations
- To encourage people to use public transport
- To celebrate life with music, dance and creative activities
- To showcase local performers of all ages
- To provide an online forum to develop the Mela whilst large gatherings are postponed.